SPACE ADVENTURES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
SPACEPEDIA
Click the image below to be directed to our wikia, where you can find all information on various characters, alien species, and planets. It is still under construction so suggestions are accepted.
SPACEPEDIA SPACEPEDIA
Staff Members

( kyuu )
c r e a t o r

( deus dormio )
a d m i n

( snicker muffin )
m o d

Writing Big Posts!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deus Dormio

Deus Dormio

Aquarius Pig
Location : I reside alone on the faraway planet Dormio. It is mine and mine only. Whatever citizens live there are nonsentient lizards.

Writing Big Posts! Empty
PostSubject: Writing Big Posts!   Writing Big Posts! EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 4:46 pm

THE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO BIG POSTS AND COLOSSAL WORD REQUIREMENTS

It's easy to go a bit crazy when you decide to brave a site that prefers its members to write novel-length posts or have a word minimum over 500. So in just a few short tips, I shall sum up ways to help you out. :]

1. DON'T post when you're tired, grumpy, or you just don't feel like it. Your posting buddy can wait for a few days. You don't want to churn out a half-arsed post that just looks like you were falling asleep at the keyboard writing it. Wait until you're feeling pretty chipper, and even then, when you start to get tired, take a break. And unless you're one of those rare night owls who comes alive after 12AM, don't stay up all night posting, whether your timezones differ or not. Tell them you'll finish the next day.

2. Try not to write too much fluff. See if you can write paragraphs according to these points:

• What was your character doing a few days or a day before?
  • What were they doing a few hours ago?
  • What are their thoughts on the previous two?
  • What are they doing now?
  • What are they wearing?
  • Who are they waiting for (if applicable)
  • How do they feel now?

3. Put some of your character's quirks into action. For example, if your character's a candy lover, add some sentences about them getting out some candy and eating it. Or tell us what they're reading or listening to.

4. Be a little random without going overboard. Maybe she's making fun of another girl across the pool wearing a muffin top. Or maybe a bug landed on his arm, and he's secretly deathly afraid of bugs. This is also a good place to put mini-events, like your character getting chased by geese or having to yell at someone. Use your imagination and make something happen.

5. Avoid wordiness. I'm sure you all tend to throw unnecessary words in your essays when you start to get tired of writing them and wish they were over. Don't do it with your posts, either.

6. Try adding a few paragraphs about what your character plans to do afterwards. Maybe he's just resting at the park until his ride comes, or perhaps studying for an exam. Talk about the person you're rping with, too - what they think of each other, what your charrie secretly thinks about the other.

7. Above all, don't push yourself. If you love the plot and everything else about a site, but feel that you just cannot handle shelling out over 500 words per post, don't feel that you have to. You'll find something else that's just as great but with a lower word minimum. There's lots of things out there.

8. Leave the site if the admins or members make fun of you because a post is considerably smaller than theirs. No muss, no fuss.

9. End the post with a little bit of dialogue. Have your charrie talk to herself or other people or animals.

10. Notepad is your friend! If you don't want to finish that day, stick what you've got into a notepad document and save it. ^^

11. Check your words. If you've got enough to meet the requirement, great, no need to go back unless you want to check for spelling errors (which you should). If not, add a little more. Remember, this isn't a contest. I'm all for quality over quantity, but if the board you're on requires big posts, by all means comply to the rules or don't join at all. Don't flame their rules, either - it's common courtesy.

And have fun! Rping isn't fun if it feels like a chore. :]
Back to top Go down

Writing Big Posts!
Page 1 of 1